Mark voted this the best dinner I ever made and honestly, I agree! I went home on Tuesday to food shop for my family and my mom gave us some kielbasi to take home. I was thinking I would make homemade pierogies, but I ended up baking these and they turned into empanada like pockets. AKA the best mistake I ever made. They are filled with potatoes (regular for mark, sweet potato for me) , cheddar cheese, jalapeños, cream cheese, garlic salt and pepper. I baked them and then mixed them into the pan with the kielbasi and onions for a few minutes, then topped the meal off with sour cream, fresh jalapeños and chives. This meal is comforting, hearty and really hits the spot. Here is how you can make them.
• 2 cups of flour
• 1/2 cup of warm water
• 2 tablespoons of olive oil
• one large egg
• 2 potatoes (or sweet potatoes) boiled and then mashed.
• 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese
• 1/2 cup of cream cheese
• 2 jalapeños chopped
• garlic salt & pepper
1) Mix together all the dough ingredients gently and then knead until smooth. Set aside and cover for 30 minutes to set.
2) Mix together all the filling ingredients.
3) Roll out your dough on a floured (is this a word?) surface and then use a mason jar top to cut out circles.
4) Fill half of each pocket and then fold and almost braid together until closed.
5) Brush an egg wash over each pocket.
6) Bake on 375 for 25 minutes until brown and then add into the pan of sauteed kelbasi and onions for a few minutes.
I hope you enjoy this meal as much as we did! You can use the dough recipe and change up the filling to what you like. Here are a few combos I want to try next.
- sweet potato, butter and brown sugar
- potato, bacon and chives
- butternut squash, onion and thyme.
If you make this delicious recipe, please tag me on instagram so I can check out your yummy pockets. Enjoy!