Hi guys! I wanted to share last night’s dinner that I randomly created and wow it was GOOD. I have had an eggplant sitting in my veggie drawer for a bit and was going to make eggplant meatballs, but those will have to wait until next week! I was craving something like pizza, so here became these delicious sausage eggplant pizzas! These were SIMPLE, CRISPY and oh so SATISFYING. They are baked and made with panko, topped with pizza sauce, sausage and mozzarella cheese and finally fresh tomatoes and basil from my patio (ps, I cannot believe I am still keeping it alive, yay!) This is something the kids may even like! Switch up the sausage for chicken or turkey meat, pepperoni or really anything! Use the panko crusted baked eggplant as a base and go crazy with the toppings you like! Let me know what you decide to top your pizzas with! Enjoy!
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 lb of ground hot sausage (or whatever you prefer)
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 cup of panko
- 1/2 jar of pizza sauce
- 1 cup of mozzarella cheese
- Handful of fresh tomatoes
- Fresh basil
- Salt, pepper, oregano
- Place flour, whisked eggs and panko (add salt, pepper, oregano) in separate shallow bowls.
- Cut the eggplant in 1/2 inch circles-this should make about 10
- Dip the eggplant on both sides into the flour, whisked eggs and then panko.
- Place on a baking dish and bake on 375 for 15 minutes.
- While they are baking, make your sausage topping. In a saucepan, add olive oil and then the ground sausage, salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes until brown and add in 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese. Cook for another 2 minutes until melted and formed together. Set aside.
- Take out your baked eggplant and flip them over. Add pizza sauce in the middle of each one, sausage topping, the rest of your mozzarella cheese on each one and place back in the oven on 375 for 10 minutes. Broil on hi for 2-3 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and add fresh tomatoes and basil. YUM
*Next time I would even add some fresh ricotta cheese on top!