Last night I did an instagram poll in my stories, asking if you wanted to see a SAVORY or SWEET Saturday brunch idea, savory won, 64% to 36% ( I like savory more too, truth be told I would eat Chinese food or pizza for brunch also, savory is more satisfying to me at that 10am-11am time frame) So, I had a few zucchinis in my veggie drawer just waiting to be used. I do not have a spiralizer (it is on my registry if anyone wants to get me it…just kidding) so I chopped up the zucchini nice and small and used paper towels to get some of the moisture out…yeah I probably need a cloth to do that too…*add to amazon cart. Mark wanted bacon, surprise surprise, so I paired these CRISPY CHEDDAR ZUCCHINI FRITTERS with a poached egg, bacon, fresh tomatoes, chives, a spoonful of sour cream and Italian hot pepper bomba sauce (from Trader Joes, my fave) and salt and pepper. It was delicious, nutritious and super satisfying this morning (oh and it is GLUTEN-FREE) Enjoy!
- 1 large zucchini, chopped into small pieces or spiralized and chopped.
- 1 cup of almond flour (can sub for whole wheat or regular)
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese (or choose another you like!)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tablespoon of cayenne pepper (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Chop zucchini into small pieces and use a paper towel (or if you have that fancy cloth to use) squeeze out the moisture the best you could.
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped zucchini, almond flour, cheddar cheese, egg, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Mix together until combined.
- Heat a skillet with olive oil on medium high.
- Form small patties with your zucchini mixture and fry on each side for about two minutes. Place on a baking dish and sprinkle with a little cheddar cheese.
- Bake on 350 for about 8 minutes. Broil on HI for 2 minutes until crispy.
*Pair with a poached or fried egg, crispy bacon, sour cream, fresh tomatoes and chives to complete the same brunch I had.
These were the perfect brunch for a rainy day (or in general) because it was so comforting and full of flavor! Tag me on instagram if you make it, would love to hear what you think! This is def a crowd pleaser, Mark ate his in about 3 minutes and cleaned his entire plate. Enjoy and stay healthy & safe this MDW!